Let your imagination run wild! Derwent Valley Tourism business for sale.

My latest listing is an enchanting property that has a heritage home operating as a bed and breakfast, Hamlet Downs. I recently spoke with the owner Jenifa about her property and her time there.

So you’re originally a drama teacher and from Sydney, I believe you are a fan of Shakespeare’s works?
Yes, I was a drama teacher at a Performing Arts High School in Sydney. Teaching Shakespeare to gifted students was a passion. 

What made you consider Tasmania? 
I had long held a dream to live in the country and run a B&B... I would get on my iPad at night and search B&Bs for sale in Australia. It soon became apparent that Tassie was the place that had many to choose from and I had always wanted to return having holidayed here many years ago. 

And when you saw the property was named Hamlet Downs did you see that as a sign?
I did think the name was intriguing... but I knew once I walked through the land here at Hamlet Downs, I knew it was a special place.  

Your move in date was auspicious I believe? What was special about it?
It wasn’t planned... But we travelled to Hamlet Downs on Shakespeare’s birthday 23rd of April, and we have always celebrated his birthday and our anniversary since moving here. Just before Covid struck, we were planning our inaugural Shakespeare Festival.  

Not many people may have heard of Fentonbury before, especially since its population is just 225 people! How did you come across the township and decide to move here?
Well it was Hamlet Downs that drew me to Fentonbury and the fact that it’s just a 15 minute drive to Mt Field National Park; a most beautiful place and it feels like we are far away from any cities yet Hobart is only just an hour’s drive away 

Being a former drama teacher, did you manage to weave your love of the arts through your offering at Hamlet Downs? 
There are little touches of Shakespeare throughout the suites; copies of plays, DVDs of plays, books on Shakespeare and information sheets about his use of language and invention of words.  At our birthday celebrations we have had performances of soliloquies and scenes from plays. And created a menu from Elizabethan times. 

What do you think first inspired your love of Shakespeare?
I studied speech and drama as a 13-year-old with a teacher named Madam Hagney. I remember her very clearly and have not forgotten many of her sayings. She trained myself and a friend and we entered an eisteddfod with a scene from Romeo and Juliet. Since then, I’ve performed many of the plays. During Covid,  I entered a Globe theatre competition and was selected with scenes filmed at Hamlet Downs to be part of a special compilation: https://www.facebook.com/23565920773/posts/10158546784885774/?vh=e&d=n

Do you have a favourite play or poem?  I do love his sonnets and of course a special one was performed at my wedding Do you have a favourite play to perform in too?
Hard to pick a favourite, but The Merchant of Venice is up there. So I was very thrilled when Bell Shakespeare came and performed at Hobart’s Theatre Royal and a lovely ex-student played the role of Portia.  

When you’re not busy with running your business, which local spots would you recommend visiting?
So many lovely spots... Mt Field National park of course with the world-famous Russell Falls. We love the drive out to Strathgordon and the spectacular dam. One of our favourite walks with our dogs is to the June Caves reserve - just beautiful. We love having lunch or afternoon tea at The Possum Shed at Westaway and it’s dog friendly! New Norfolk is just a 25 minute drive and has a fabulous collection of antique stores and great cafes. 

I’ve noticed a little bit of Shakespeare throughout the property, do your guests notice?
Oh yes, they do! If they are already fans, there is much to chat about and I love it when they know very little about Shakespeare but are so intrigued to find out about his word inventions. 
 

Are we going to find any of your alpacas, ducks and chickens named after Shakespearean creations?
Ha ha! No, the ducks all have girls’ names starting with D, and we now have just 1 alpaca left who’s named Vinnie (after Van Gogh). 

I see you have an extensive and beautiful garden for your guests to explore. What’s in bloom at the moment?
The garden is an amazing seasonal affair! At the moment, the lupins are out and next we have the gorgeous roses taking a starring role. 

Do you have a favourite section of garden?
The wisteria arch is my favourite place. It’s the perfect cool spot during the summer months and divinely perfumed in spring.

Do you grow any produce for your guest’s meals too?
We do! At the moment, we have lovely spinach, cabbage and fresh herbs. We are really looking forward to a great crop of tomatoes and I think our apples and nashi pears are going to have their best year ever! 

Do you have a favourite room or spot that you enjoy your property from?
All the suites have a distinctive charm, but I think the sunroom in the King Suite is my favourite with its gorgeous view of the garden; it’s perfect for yoga, or doing a puzzle and enjoying a cuppa. 

2020 has been a year that no one could have predicted. How has the Covid situation affected your business? 
Yes, it certainly has! I had a large percentage of overseas guests, so it’s been very quiet. Which has given us time to really enjoy the peace and quiet of Hamlet Downs.

Have you found that you have had an influx of Tassie locals holidaying at your B&B?More recently we have enjoyed the Taswegians exploring their own backyard. 

You can view details about the property here

https://www.eisproperty.com.au/listing/l4730398-50-gully-road-fentonbury-tas-7140/#&gid=1&pid=1







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empowered women, our strength of purpose can be used for good!

List your home now and revel into the New Year!