The Power of Womanhood


The Power of Womanhood

“A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform” Diane Mariechild
When I came across this quote it made me think about how this is reflected in my life. What have I created, who have I nurtured and where have I transformed?
I first thought back to my childhood. It is sometimes seen as cliché to point to the women who raised you as your first inspiration — but for many of us, and certainly for me, I believe it is nevertheless true that our mothers and grandmothers are the first activators of our mission. My mother is a strong and resourceful woman, so were my grandmothers and for most of my conscious life I witnessed women making it on their own. You see I never knew my grandfathers, they had both passed away before I was born and although my Dad is an important part of my life, he and my mother separated when I was 3 and I spent all but one day a week living with my Mum, watching what one woman can accomplish. I have never doubted the power of women to change the world. Whilst Mum had the unenviable task of practically raising 4 children on her own, she did have others around her and she constantly involved herself in activities voluntarily to assist others less fortunate, at the age of 87 she still is! Her mere action of standing ready to do a hard and good thing provoked me to be willing to do the same. 
This same phenomenon has played out in many areas of my life. It was the catalyst for my time as an Australian representative in a sport largely unheard-of amongst women, I saw a woman compete with an otherwise all male line up and she had a tribe of supporters. It ignited a fire in me- I can do that too I thought to myself, and I did.
In business I experienced the same. At the age of 16 I met a woman who was enabling others to make a difference both in their lives and that of others, I wanted to emulate this silent power she exuded, so I followed and became a part of a group of women who together created a contagious energy that people wanted to be a part of.
When I was 21, I started a new job in a business run totally by women. I thrived as part of an inclusive and energised posse-like team. That posse empowered me so much that 2 years later I bought that business.
As I furthered my business endeavors, I discovered an opportunity to be amongst other businesswomen. A safe and positive environment to share your challenges, fears and wins. It was Women’s Network Australia. This constant in my life for well over a decade has morphed as members come and go and return.  In the last few years I have been privileged to be able to be more active in this organisation, not just in my local area rather nationally. Last month I attended the Women’s Network Australia Christmas Charity Luncheon. I have never been more inspired and energised to stand amongst other woman connect and collectively use our power for good. It’s stirred something in me.
Sparked by observing woman leading the way and experiencing first-hand what can be achieved when women bond together, an ongoing desire to assist women to achieve their goals was born. So was the realisation that instead of promoting independence, something that is praised so much, especially in the furthering of women, women needed to embrace interdependence.
A mother, athlete, business owner, philanthropist, politician, all of us – we don’t get far without others. A team, crew, mentor, coach or training partner can offer support, guidance and/or expert knowledge; however, I believe their most powerful attribute is their belief in you and their willingness to stand with you, ready for action. It inspires within you the willingness to do the same. How many of you have experienced committing to something yet found yourself procrastinating, however when accountability in the form of a friend, mentor or a paid coach is introduced it’s much easier to consistently act?
Women I have found are exceptionally good at it.
This is the power of sisterhood: women enabling women do hard and good things, thus spurring us on to do more hard and good things.

Women have been coming together in circles for centuries. There is good reason-as a collective we can evoke change, fast.

A bible passage stands out to me in this instance. Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” 
Whilst this passage wasn’t a message exclusive for women, we were made for community and we were made for good works. When women come together, and when we stir one another up to love and good works, we all benefit. 
At this festive time of year, it’s easy to bear witness to where womanhood comes to the fore. The spontaneous Boxing Day brunch or bbq born out of no other reason than to enjoy the company of those you feel akin to. Think nothing of picking up the phone and calling upon girlfriends to lend a hand, whip up a salad or quiche and even pop over earlier to help spruce up the house before everyone arrives. This sense of community and desire to lend a hand doesn’t end there. When a family needs support due to accident or illness, I see women rostering together to arrange meals or house-work or child minding. When there’s a cause to support, I see women rallying together to organise fundraising events or pull a raffle together.  Women together know how to rise up. It's a different kind of power and strength; one that's rooted in the heart.
As a new year is imminent, we have in front of us a time of great and wondrous change available to us, and women are leading the way. 
It’s time for women to rise and come together, to stand in our greatness. Now is the time, to be a voice of change, of hope and love and act on it. It’s your time, sisters! 
 This exciting new time, when women around the world can unite in sisterhood, and bring about important and much needed change; for healing the planet and its people is one I want to seize to create mammoth results.

Social progress I believe is not inevitable and something that naturally unfolds over time. I think it’s something that’s negotiated, claimed, demanded. So, if things are to get better, I don’t think it’s inevitable. I think it’s because of hard work and intentional efforts to foster solidarity among women. There are increased opportunities for solidarity. We live in an age where global participation is a day to day reality.

The goal for me is always action and change, positive change and I have a plan.
I’m sharing this personal story because I want all of us to recognise that as part of a collective we can grow. All of us can be better at this life and all of us can act to assist others to be better too. Women leading the way for a better world where they can live fulfilling lives, pursuing their individual dreams and those of their families. The tools available to us as we enter a new decade — connectivity, access to knowledge, access to each other — are tools that women can and do put to powerful uses. Sisterhood doesn’t mean we’re the same. It doesn’t mean our struggles are the same. It doesn’t even mean that we must like each other. It is about viewing our struggles as interconnected and have a willingness to learn from each other’s experiences and not throw each other under the bus. Its about approaching life from a position of strength and to do that as a collective.
Saying yes to being a part of transformational woman’s circles rocked my world and positively impacted my life.

We have power, and we should be using it. Let’s do this together!

What will you create, nurture and transform?
Are you ready to say yes and answer the call to make a difference?

You will hear more of what I’m up to over the coming weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the opportunity to be amongst friends and family and have a
  Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empowered women, our strength of purpose can be used for good!

Let your imagination run wild! Derwent Valley Tourism business for sale.

List your home now and revel into the New Year!